- Friendly fire - isn't.
- Recoilless rifles - aren't.
- Suppressive fires - won't.
- You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
- A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.
- If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
- Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to
waste a bullet on you.
- If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
- If you are forward of your position, your artillery will fall short.
- Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
- Never go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.
- Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
- If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
- The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
- The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
when they're ready.
when you're not.
- No OPLAN ever survives initial contact.
- There is no such thing as a perfect plan.
- Five second fuses always burn three seconds.
- There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
- A retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping.
The Ol' Ranger's addendum:
Or else they're trying to suck you into a serious ambush!
- The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.
- The easy way is always mined.
- Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
- Don't look conspicuous; it draws fire. For this reason, it is not at all
uncommon for aircraft carriers to be known as bomb magnets.
- Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
- If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
- When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
- Incoming fire has the right of way.
- No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
- No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.
- If the enemy is within range, so are you.
- The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly
- Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't.
- Things that must work together, can't be carried to the field that way.
- Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support.
- Radar tends to fail at night and in bad weather, and especially during
- Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
- Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get
- Tracers work both ways.
- If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you will get more
than your fair share of objectives to take.
- When both sides are convinced they're about to lose, they're both right.
- Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous
- Military Intelligence is a contradiction.
- Fortify your front; you'll get your rear shot up.
- Weather ain't neutral.
- If you can't remember, the Claymore is pointed toward you.